Thursday, December 20, 2012

Why I use LinkedIn, and hope you do too....in the New Year, build your "hubness"


I am a Jew married to a Catholic.  Neither of us practice.  Next year we'll be married 25 years.  We have 3 children, all whom I am proud to call a friend.  But, I have this nagging feeling.  At the end, I'll get to the gate and be brought before (Jesus, Budda, Mohammed) who will ask why am I deserving.  Or at a minimum, with my last breath, I want to reflect on a life well lived.  That's why today I use LinkedIn.  Most people look at Linkedin and see a job board on the web or a professional Facebook.  I see something else: an accelerator of human potential.



Several years ago I read Malcolm Gladwell's Tipping Point.  He talks about the spread of ideas and how if you are lucky enough to meet a hub, the chance of your idea spreading to the next person, the right person, goes up exponentially.  At that moment, I realized that I wasn't getting any faster, or better looking and that senility was fast approaching. Though in spite of this inevitability, I knew that I could actively pursue my "hubness"… that I could become a connector.  When I met new connections I could learn about these people, what they were interested in, what they aspired to do, and file that information away until the day when I met their puzzle piece, the person who completed them.  Together, the two people could go on to accelerate human potential.


Fast forward to 2003: along comes Linkedin.  I had found the perfect tool.  Ii told me what people were doing, what they cared about, and when they changed paths.  It is the perfect tool for finding the missing puzzle pieces.



If you look at your world there are probably 20 people you see on a daily basis.  There is another 100 whom you like, respect and perhaps see every other year.  The is a larger circle beyond that, with some affiliation, but perhaps they have particular skills or knowledge.  With LinkedIn these secondary and tertiary circles become your world.



Today, I may spend as much time collaborating with people in my network as I do with people in my building.  I actively go through my network once a month, introducing people in my network simply because they should know each other.  Their pieces may fit, they may not, but I hope the world is a better place because of it. Of course in all honesty, I am the big winner.  I hear about interesting things people do, and sometimes join in the projects I helped catalyze.


Just imagine if each of us made it a New Year's resolution to build our “hubness”; to look for ways to bring strangers together so that they might call each other a colleague.  LinkedIn, or at least the process it enables, is one of the most powerful tools we have...we just need to use it correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment